blogger visitor counter

Widgets

I am asked a lot of the time why I run so much. To be honest, I don't run as much as people think. Sure, I get into some really good stretches at certain points of the year (normally Spring and early Fall) but for the most part, I am very inconsistent with my running.

So I began to think, why is that I run? I do it to stay healthy, lose weight, and fuel my body but why do I really do it. Is it out of guilt? To clear my mind? Because I had a fight with wife? Am I relieving stressed?
Well I wrote out my reasons and it was quite therapeutic. Some of the reasons I have vocalized to others and some I have never said out loud, preferring to keep them to myself.
Why I run:
For dinner last night, I ate a burger and fries, then washed it all down with a coke. So I ran.
I got out of the shower and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror. So this morning I hit the treadmill.
My kids won't behave, the cable is out, and my dog chewed a pillow. So I went to the river and hit the trail for a run.
I have a report due at 3PM and my inbox has over 100 unopened messages. So this morning I slipped out and took a run.
I have a new iPhone and plenty of music, podcasts, and audible books. So this afternoon I ran.
My stomach is flabby, knees are sore, my muscles ache. So I need to run.
My mom ran when I was a kid and I was amazed by how fast she was. So I signed up for a half marathon.
I sat in my hotel room, ordered a pizza, water, and some ice cream and watched Family Guy. So that afternoon I ran.
My wife goes to her gym religiously and never misses a workout. So during lunch I took a run.
I feel, fat, unattractive, and lazy. So this morning I ran.
I asked my son what he likes most about me. He said my speed. So this morning I participated in a 5K.
I woke up in Kauai, Hawaii and can see the deep blue hues of the Pacific Ocean. So I found a path and ran.
My wife and I had a fight and I couldn't admit that I was wrong. So I left for a run.
I am afraid of getting old and my wife no longer being attractive to me. So this morning I ran.
I want to be alive and healthy for when I have grandkids to play with. So this morning I ran.
These are just some of the reasons that I run. After writing them out and reading over them, I run for more than just health. I do it for my family, to clear my head, and to reduce the stress that so easily overtakes our lives.
I encourage you to do the same. Take stock of one of your habits and see why you really do it. You will be really impressed with yourself once you uncover the why.
If you liked this article about why I run please check out my website The Skinny Fat Dad.