blogger visitor counter

Widgets



I am a runner. I just love to run - up hills, down lanes, around trails, pounding pavement and dirt provide me with peace, tranquility, and soul searching thought. I go to bed planning the run for the next day and when it is rest day, I bustle about trying not to think of the missed opportunity to run. On running mornings when I wake up, I slide my feet to the floor and glide to the kitchen for a quick cup of coffee and fast glance at the newspaper. Then I am out of the door and off to greet the upcoming day.

Most often I set off in the dark. Living in a small town with a safe neighborhood, streetlights secure the route and never do I fear anything. I zigzag streets until I reach the top of a small rise just as light trickles over the horizon and then I zip over the cattle guard and onto sandy trails. It is here that I can relax as there are no cars or barking dogs, just sagebrush and me. Sometimes I enjoy some rocking music while at other times I soak in the solitude of the morning, just me and the gentle pounding of my feet.

It all began in 1971 with a body conditioning class in college. In addition to sit-ups, push-ups, and a few weights, we ran. It was fun and camaraderie was high. We laughed and joked and had an all-round great time. I had no idea that this class, this running requirement would become a lifelong love. Other than a couple of breaks late in pregnancies, I have never set this passion aside. And even with the babies, I ran until a few weeks of giving birth. I felt good and my doctor reassured me that as long as I was full of pep and vigor, my running was healthy for my babies.

Now I train year 'round and so I have created quite a routine. To motivate my running I compete (in the loosest sense of the word) in running events, most often a half marathon. 13.1 miles is perfect - not too long and not too short. Training is required but not overwhelming. I completed one full marathon and I loved the feeling of accomplishment but boy! the training never ended and on actual race day I renewed my knowledge that 26.2 miles is a long, long, long distance. Half marathons are just right. Training does not interfere with the rest of my life and pleasant days lie ahead as I trot to the start with throngs of others and then we dash away the miles until a roaring crowd greets us at 13.1. I am tired but happy, fulfilled but also ready to run again.

Everyone needs a healthy addiction and running is mine. I can think of no finer way to start the day than hitting the road. It opens my mind and my heart. I think and plan, mull over and solve problems, and most importantly I take the time to relax and appreciate how lucky I am to be alive.


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Gini_Cunningham